Monday, June 7, 2010

The Gift of a Memory

Every so often, someone will send me a note or email or Facebook message to share a special memory that they have of Emma. I love getting these. They are reassuring gifts because they have, in every instance, helped to confirm what I thought I knew about Emma.


We have learned that one of the tragedies of suicide is that survivors question, sometimes forever, whether they ever knew the person they've lost in this shocking and shattering way. A friend of mine who knew Emma all her life recently told me how much the blog was helping her erase the doubt she was feeling. We did know Emma. What we didn't know or understand was suicide. 


I got a message on Facebook the other day from a former counselor at the camp that Emma & Sarah attended (and Sarah still attends). It was another one of these memory gems that is a picture of that sweet, smiley girl we love.


Hi Nancy,
A note from me might seem out of the blue, but I have been thinking about all of you a lot these days...I check in on your blog often. The stories are wonderful to read and actually have helped me as a teacher to think about my high schoolers (and their parents) a little differently than I might otherwise. I can say that I do better now at watching out for each and every kid....and really really listening to what they say and watching their body language. I do think I was fairly good at this before, but reading about all this from your perspective has really opened my eyes.
I wanted to share this small memory of Emma with you because it sticks out in my head so distinctly...I never knew Emma that well because she was rarely on the field and was out of the Birdie section before my first summer. This memory is from her workgroup summer (2 years after my last full summer counseling). I was visiting for the day after meeting new baby C, and was touring Whip during rest hour. The former Birdies were all excited to say hello and talk for a bit. I was thrilled to be back and to get the warm welcome. As I came to the senior section, there was less enthusiasm because I knew few of them well (a small blow to my ego that there was no welcoming party like I saw from the juniors :P)...I thought about heading back up the field, but decided to peek in on the workgroupers instead. Coming to Kush, a few girls were outside reading and volunteered to sing their workgroup song. I then peeked in the door to many stares from foreign faces...until I heard a cheerful, excited "Hi J!" Emma had been reading on her top bunk, but immediately sat up straight, with a big smile on her face. I talked to her for about 5 minutes, looking at her from below, only seeing her torso and up in the dim-lit cabin. I can't remember the conversation, but that immediate welcome made my day :). I was so impressed that a girl I didn't know well was so welcoming and kind. So that is the image I have of her in my mind, smiling down from a Kush bunk.
From all I have read about Emma, this was completely in character. I hope it is one more story that can bring a smile to your face. I hope your summer will bring even more happy memories. Say hi to Sarah for me!
Thinking of you all,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment