Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rocky Horror Connection

A friend and former colleague told me this story and I thought I would share it. I worked with this friend about 20 years ago. She had met Emma when we first brought her home, but we had been out of touch for the last 15 years, so she had not seen Emma since she was a baby. About two months before Emma died we met for lunch in the town where we both now worked. It had been a very long time since we had seen each other and we did a lot of catching up. Emma was a junior in high school and we had just gotten back from college visiting, so we talked a lot about who Emma was, her love of music and what she was looking for in a school. Still, my friend would never had said she knew Emma.


After Emma died, my friend found the FaceBook tribute page that was made by some of Emma's friends. She read through the comments and scrolled through the pictures and she said that she felt that she came to know Emma just a little more through the memories people shared. But still, she would never have said that she knew Emma.


That's why what happened to her last fall was so amazing. She was helping out at a production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at a local theater.  The theater was short-staffed and she had volunteered to help at the last minute. As she greeted patrons, a group of teenagers arrived in full Rocky Horror regalia. For some reason, they made her think of a picture she had seen of Emma on FaceBook several months before. In fact, the feeling was so strong she felt compelled to ask them if they knew Emma, even though she knew the question might seem very strange. "Do you guys happen to know Emma von Euler?" she asked. Big smiles broke across their faces. "Yes! That's why we're here! We're here for Emma. How did you know?" "I don't know," she said. "I just had a feeling."


I don't know about you, but I'm just amazed by that story. How did she know? Could it be that Emma left a mark so strong it is palpable? And how is it that Emma continues to connect people even after she's gone? These are the good questions, the comforting questions, I ask myself each day.

5 comments:

  1. There is hardly ANY group of people that I have met, worked with, played with, in the greater Fairfield area that I am not compelled to try out that question: Did you know Emma? I don't even need to say the last name. She was connected all over, and always in such a way that everyone jumps for real joy to have made the former connection to her as well as this new one of remembering.
    I am not surprised; she always will be a connection for so very many. I personally will not have touched as many as she did in her short time as I will in my much longer time. No possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to be reminded that not all the questions are painful ones. It really is something how Emma continues to connect people; I'm convinced that Emma is a major part of the reason why I met and became close with two of the most important people in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma's managed to posthumously manipulate the world so much it's gotten into the news halfway across America. I can definitely feel her around me and those others who she cared for. I've always gotten the feeling that literally nothing can stop Emma from doing what's important to her, and that seems to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there that night at Rocky Horror. I never had the chance to go with Emma, but I had always wanted to. When I was offered that ticket, I jumped at the chance to dress up and go crazy and dance the night away for that girl that meant so much to me. I remember this person asking that question, though I can't put the face to the name. I have a bruise on my leg that has lasted for almost a year now, but will always remind me of the night I spent wishing that beautiful girl I always loved could've been there with me. I plan on going again this year, and I hope to feel that same magic I felt on that night last October.

    ReplyDelete