Friday, May 20, 2011

Lessons

I think there are two lessons from the story I shared in my last post. The first is that one person can make a difference. In this case, I'm referring to my champion, the staff liaison to the Curriculum and Policy subcommittee. She made a conscious, I would describe it as moral, decision to take action. She was surrounded by people who endorsed taking the easy road; change a sentence and be done with it; but she knew that wasn't right. At some point she realized if she didn't pick up the flag and lead the troops forward, the battle would be lost, and the stakes were too high to let that happen.


The second lesson is that sometimes we have to be loud to be heard. Peter and I pursued our conversations with the district quietly, but that meant we were easy to ignore. I think it's safe to say that we would have made progress much more quickly if others were joining us on the chorus.


If you live in Fairfield, I encourage you to do that now. The Board will vote on the new suicide prevention, intervention and response policy and regulations at their meeting on Tuesday, May 24th. Let them know that you care about this issue and you are glad they are taking action to protect vulnerable youth and save lives. You can email them at: boemembers@fairfield.k12.ct.us.

No comments:

Post a Comment