Saturday, January 14, 2012

Come to me as a Butterfly


Come to me as a Butterfly

You come to me as a butterfly
White-winged and delicate
Full of grace and purpose

You come close,
Drawing me in
With your dizzying dance

My gaze follows you
As you whirl through the garden
Appearing and disappearing

Amethyst tinged hydrangea,
Lavender dusted spirea,
Violet budded oregano

And though I vigilantly track your flight
I cannot hold you in my gaze
And you are gone again

I climb toward the heavens
To search for you
And see the world as you now see it

From a rocky peak
I take in the paint-splattered valley below
And soak up the last of the retreating sun

In the distance, a spark catches my eye
You appear again,
Your wings transformed by the colors of fall

Mosaic patterned top wings
Fiery orange and burnt red
Dusted beneath in summer’s purple

I hold my breath
As you come close
Gently alighting upon the rock beside me

Your stillness 
Holds the same sense of purpose
As your frantic flight

I cannot resist,
My smile blooms into a giddy laugh
We are together again

Though I long to hold you, I do not reach out
I know my touch upon your wings
Would steal from you your freeing flight

You lift off, circle, disappear
Leaving me earth-bound
And searching

August 2009

2 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Nancy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning, beyond beautiful. As is Emma and her precious, loving mom...

    ReplyDelete