Saturday, September 15, 2012

Caution - Volunteering for the PTA May Cause Suicide!

This past Thursday started out just like any other day, but by noon things were steadily going down hill. I drove to Stamford for a lunchtime meeting and found a parking spot on the street, behind another car. When I got out of the car I noticed a sign on the street that made me question whether I was parked legally. There was a parking lot right in front of the building where I was headed, so I hopped backed in my car to move it, just to be on the safe side. I turned the key in the ignition, and...nothing. I tried again - nothing. My meeting was starting, so I left the car and headed into the building. I'd deal with the car after the meeting.

The meeting was scheduled to run two hours, but I left after an hour and a half so that I could deal with my car. On my way out of the building, I phoned Triple A.  We agreed it was likely a dead battery. They would get to me within 45 minutes and give me a jump start. If I was lucky, I'd still make it back to work in time for my 3 pm meeting.

I got into my car while I waited for Triple A and decided to give the engine one more try. I turned the key in the ignition and, reluctantly, the car started. Yahoo! I called back Triple A and canceled the service call, phoned my office to cancel my 3 pm meeting, and then drove directly to a garage around the corner from my house.

The garage didn't have the size battery I needed in stock, but they called to have one delivered and assured me that delivery time was usually under 15 minutes. An hour and half later the battery finally arrived and a few minutes after that I was on my way. By now, it was nearly time to pick Sarah up at school after field hockey practice, so I dashed home, let the dogs out quickly, checked my email, put the dogs back in their crates and then headed out again.

On my way to the car, I saw the mailman pulling away from our mailbox, so I quickly collected our mail, and then hopped into the car. There were only two pieces of what I call "real mail" - mail that is not a bill or a catalog.  I could tell from the return address that one was from friends of ours and was probably a birth announcement. The other piece was more mysterious. It was addressed solely to me in what I would describe as youthful handwriting and there was no return address. I wondered if it could be from a friend of Emma's. I have really enjoyed seeing and hearing from her friends over these past three years, so with some happy anticipation, I tore open the envelope before starting the car.

When I looked inside the envelope, I saw a newspaper clipping which I immediately recognized as the CT Post article that I had been interviewed for three months ago. Tucked inside that clipping was a note that said, "Maybe if you spent more time with your kids instead of running PTAs your family would not have suffered this unspeakable tragedy. Family first!" The exclamation point had a little heart where the period should be.

I shoved the note back into the envelope and threw the envelope onto the floor of the car. I'm not sure I was breathing. I was completely in shock. I had to get Sarah, so I turned on the car and headed for Milford, but before I had gotten very far I burst into tears. I knew I shouldn't make the drive in that condition, so I frantically began calling Peter. I reached him within a few minutes and he packed up quickly and headed for Milford, urging me to call a friend when I got back home. He was angry and worried and clearly felt helpless.

Consciously and subconsciously I have dreaded a moment like that for most of the last three years. I know that families are often blamed for suicide deaths and there was no reason to believe we would be immune to that. When the CT Post reporter left a message for me saying that she wanted to interview me for an article about teen suicide, I hesitated before calling her back. Maybe I didn't need to open myself up to criticism and backlash. There's a saying, though: 'Be the change you want to see." If I wanted to see a world in which the myths that surround suicide are shattered, and where those who suffer  and survivors of suicide loss feel free to seek help and support without shame or stigma, I had to help build that world. Telling my story is the first step.
 
Over the last few days, as a result of receiving that hateful note,  I have struggled with two competing emotions: wanting to vociferously defend my track record as a parent, on the one hand; and wanting to curl up under a rock and hide, on the other.  The first is not an option. The author of that note didn't have the courage to sign his/her message. I don't have the option of facing my accuser. Curling up under a rock is not an option either. I have another child and that child needs her mother. A few days after Emma died, my very wise and very strong, Sarah,  looked me and Peter in the eyes and said, "We are not going to let this destroy us." For the last three years we have worked really hard to carry on, remember Emma, use our gifts, and stay strong - together; because that is what families do.

If you would like to help us prevent suicide, please join us for the Out of the Darkness Walk on Saturday, October 27th at Sherwood Island. You can join or contribute to Team Emma by clicking here.

14 comments:

  1. Pray for the poor soul that sent that heinous note. He/She must be suffering so much to be spreading hurtful comments! Don't let this negative, vile energy enter your beautiful thoughts and lovely soul!! Know that there are plenty of people that love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pray for the poor soul that sent that heinous note. He/She must be suffering so much to be spreading hurtful comments! Don't let this negative, vile energy enter your beautiful thoughts and lovely soul!! Know that there are plenty of people that love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever wrote that note is just someone who read about Emma's death somewhere and mailed you, not knowing anything about Emma and the circumstances other than that she's dead. The people who knew Emma well have a fairly good idea of what caused Emma to end her life, and it wasn't you not spending enough time with her. I never heard such a complaint from Emma or anyone else.
    A lot of people have taken cheap shots with all this. A teenage suicide is a terrible thing, and survivors have a huge vulnerability that people can exploit in all kinds of ways; I told you at least one example of someone taking advantage of my own grief. But it is important to see these people for who they are, namely, ignorant opportunists looking for a cheap shot, rather than someone who knows the situation and is belittling you with words of truth. You are above them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the smart thing to do is ignore and walk away from this mean, ignorant, bitter person ... But my gut wishes you would send this blog post to the newspaper reporter who did the original article and see if she wants to write a follow up on how ignorant people remain about suicide. Regardless, amazing post. Thank you. Love ya! Carla xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever find out who sent it, I will punch her in the nose for you. In the meantime, take comfort in the fact that the cowardly writer has a worse life than you. So sorry that you had to see such an insensitive and unkind thought. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so incredible to me Nancy - another HUGE thank you for sharing this story. With tears, I want to thank you for the amazing bravery you are showing us as yet another wave hits. Your help to me, shared with Corey, has been huge - beyond huge. Your work to stay present in your loss, to educate yourself and gracefully educate us and the world around you - over and over again - is incredible and feels incredibly important for the health and lives of SO many.

    I have to keep deleting my own spewing - at the invisible one with the damaged heart who forgot about compassion (but I can hear David in my mind, quoting the Anthony Hopkins character in a fairly old movie "Legends of the Fall" ..."Screw 'em!" )

    Thank you for not curling up under the rock!!! (a nice place for a rest, and SO glad that you're out here!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hateful, ignorant person. I'm sorry you were the victim of such cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a twisted thing to do. Utterly heartless and malevolent. So sorry that note was allowed to enter your lIfe--and on such a vulnerable day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry that happened to you, I can't imagine the kind of person who would be so hateful. We love you and are here for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine the kind of person who would write such a hateful and cruel thing. Their energy is completely misguided. We love and care for you, and those that knew Emma will never forget everything you've done to work towards the prevention of suicide. You've done so much, and this person does not know the half of the situation. Please don't let this ignorance affect your life. I feel that you truly have made an impact, and no little words on a note can take that away. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry this happened to you. If only the rest of the world could know what we know about you...that family always comes first and everything you do is to benefit your family. That other family's also benefit from your sharing your knowledge and passions is yet another gift to your own family. The respect and pride your girls have had for you makes that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Nancy. What an unspeakably cruel person. Who would do such a thing? I'm so sorry that anyone would do such an awful thing. I have always been involved in PTAs and other things as well. We do it for our children!! That does show we put family first!! I'm so sorry someone so inhuman wrote that terrible thing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have definitely been in my thoughts lately and though I hadn't checked your blog since the summertime, I was shocked to see this recent post about the letter you received from such a hurtful person. I feel so sad that you had to face that (big hugs). I am glad to hear though that after, the initial shock wore off, that you are determined as ever to not let this destroy you and to continue on strong as ever for Emma and the prevention of suicide. You are an incredible person and someone that will always have a special place in my heart. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know you, and i didn't even know emma. but i'm bawling my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete