Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Postcard from a friend

I always appreciate it when someone gets in touch with me because they want to let me know that they have been thinking about Emma, or that they have visited her at the memorial Garden, or that they have a special memory they want to share. That has happened several times in the last couple of weeks. It does my heart good to know that others are carrying Emma with them just like we do. 

Here is a lovely story that was shared with me just last week. Thank you, Victoria!

Mrs. Von Euler,

I don’t know if you remember me, but I was in FCCC with both of your daughters. Sarah and I were friends through FCCC and then continued to be friends at Lauralton. 

I stumbled across your blog “Emma Times” today and read some stories about Emma and couldn’t help but smile and reminisce a bit myself. I wanted to write you and tell you about my fondest memory of Emma. 

I joined FCCC when I was in 8th grade. I was placed in Concert choir and became friends with Sarah because we were the same voice part. Halfway through the year I was moved to Chamber choir because they needed some more Soprano II’s. As I walked into my first Chamber rehearsal I was terrified. I didn’t know anyone and I didn’t know any of the music. I was seated next to Emma. Mr. Noyes asked her to be my mentor and help me adjust. She took it upon herself to take me into the next room before rehearsal started and teach me my part for the songs we were working on. She did this for a couple weeks until I felt comfortable. She was the first person who showed me kindness and made me feel comfortable. She taught me to sing “Goin’ Up Yonder” which I later sang at her funeral. That song will forever remind me of Emma. 

Emma had a beautiful heart and even though I only knew her for a short time, and that exchange was the most we talked, she changed my life. Because of Emma I look out for the newbies/nervous/lonely kids in a room and make sure to reach out to them, to make them feel comfortable. I seek to be Emma to others. Thank you for your beautiful daughter. 


Victoria Conaway

No comments:

Post a Comment