Monday, January 18, 2010

From My Journal

For the first three years of Emma’s life, I kept a pretty detailed mother’s journal. It was actually the first time in my life that I had ever kept a journal, but Emma was doing things every day that I felt just had to be recorded. Later, I couldn’t find the kind of journal I had been using and moved to recording milestones and memories for both my girls on our calendars. I have many years of those saved, as well. So far, I’ve been pulling my posts from the cobwebs of my mind. This weekend, however, I decided to dip into my journals to see what I would find. Here’s a story I stumbled across that I had completely forgotten.

Emma was two. We were out doing errands and had stopped at a full service gas station (remember those?) to fill up the car. The gas station attendant was quite taken with Emma. He was going on and on about how beautiful she was. He just couldn’t let it rest. Emma was clearly quite pleased by his compliments, but she just quietly smiled. When we drove away, Emma finally spoke up. “That was a smart man!” she exclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment