Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Dearest Emma by Lindsey Elizabeth Sullivan

This letter was written to Emma by her good friend from high school, Lindsey, and was read at the dedication ceremony for the butterfly garden by another friend, Rachel. It touched my heart and I asked if I could share it.


My dearest Emma. I am so sorry that I cannot be here tonight, but I do know that you are with me always (especially in New York City where fedoras are the bomb. You’re a trendsetter among the clouds. Anna Wintour needs to watch out. Seriously.) You are with all of us gathered here this evening and have been for the past five years. I can’t believe that it has been five years since the butterfly became TRULY significant to all of us that June. They were always pretty I suppose, but once they became a means of remembering you – vibrant, constantly fluttering on to the next great adventure, and of course, fabulous – seeing butterflies became crucial to brightening our darkest days. Cherishing the small details – like a white pair of wings fluttering at the end of the driveway – was something we all had to learn how to do at that time and in each and every day following. You have been instrumental to teaching us that and a number of other lessons for the past five years. We’ve learned that normal is, indeed, simply a setting on a washer/dryer. We’ve learned that it’s okay to ask for help on the sad days and to celebrate the good ones. We’ve learned that we should sing anyway. We’ve learned to tell the people we love that we love them and to MEAN it too, even and especially if we see them everyday or if we are scared to say those words out loud. We have learned to advocate for ourselves and for our friends. We have learned to be kinder to those we meet. We have learned that every exchange, every conversation, every gesture, every word, every day, every moment counts. I’m sure that we have all changed significantly over the past five years; the caterpillars ain’t got nothin’ on us. And I know, at least for me, your presence has given me the strength, inspiration, courage, and good vibes to face my metamorphosis head on. Change is inevitable, and it is scary and often even sad. However, change does not always have to mean saying good-bye to something or someone. Rather, change can encourage us to beat our wings onward. Change can encourage us to notice the seemingly small stuff. But most importantly, change helps us to better appreciate the things that stay the same. The family and friends we can’t live without. Our favorite foods and places. Our love for you. A lot has certainly changed in the past five years, but not a day, nor butterfly, goes by when we do not think of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment