Monday, December 7, 2009

Radio City Christmas

Like many families, our family would often take the train into New York City around Christmas time to make the pilgrimage to Radio City Music Hall for their Christmas Spectacular. Emma and Sarah both loved this show and, in fact, we had talked last spring about going back this year. I was touched, actually, that of everything we could find to do in New York, my two teenagers wanted to go back and see the Christmas show that they remembered so fondly.


I’ll never forget the first time Emma saw that show when she was about 4. She was absolutely enthralled by the pageantry. She loved the Rockettes with their high-stepping dance moves and glitzy costumes, the ice skaters, Santa in his flying sleigh. She sat on the edge of her seat wide-eyed and smiling throughout most of the show.


The Christmas Spectacular ends with the staging of a live nativity. While the wise men, shepherds, sheep, cows, and even camels make their way onto the stage, an announcer tells the story of Jesus’ birth, life and ultimately, his terrible death. The story is told in very human terms and ends by asking the audience to consider how amazing it is that 2,000 years later, people all over the world still remember and celebrate the birth, life and lessons of a man who came from such humble beginnings.


The lights came up and I looked over at Emma, expecting to see that same wide-eyed, smiling face, but her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear stained. “What’s the matter, Emma,” I said. “Why did they do that to him, Mama?” she sobbed.


I have to admit, I have sat in church and listened to the story of Jesus’ life and death every Christmas and Easter since I was a child. But that year at the Christmas Spectacular, hearing the story as Emma had, it felt like I had heard it for the first time, and I was touched by the human aspects of the story in a way that I never had been before. That is the gift that children give us. – allowing us to see and hear things anew. That is one of many gifts that Emma gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment