Thursday, February 4, 2010

In the Heights

The latest musical that Emma was working on memorizing was In the Heights. We went to see it just a year ago and Emma wanted the CD of that soundtrack all for herself. She played it constantly in her room and could flawlessly perform the opening song/rap. Now if you haven't heard the opening song, you might wonder why it is so memorable that Emma could perform this piece, but this isn't just any opening song. First of all, it's a long piece. Second, it shifts back and forth between rap and song and the pace and the rhythm shift constantly, too. Third, the piece introduces the musical's 10 or so main characters and, just like with Rock Island from The Music Man, Emma had memorized all the parts and would switch back and forth between characters when she would perform it for us. 


So click here and imagine Emma's one woman show. Just a warning: there's some bad language.

1 comment:

  1. I went to see In the Heights in the beginning of the year, and loved it I'm glad to know that Emma liked it too.
    I'm very impressed with the memorization of the intro song, especially since it alternated between english and spanish! I have the song on my ipod but it will have a whole different meaning now, I just listened to it again, and I can practically hear her singing/rapping along!

    ReplyDelete