Monday, February 1, 2010

Pinky Cookies

My mother's journal entry for February 3rd, 1994 needs a little introduction.

My mother is cookie baker extraordinnaire. One of Emma's early favorites was a cookie we refer to in our family as an Italian cookie. I think that this cookie would traditionally be flavored with anise, but my mom's is not. It's a very plain flavored dough and after it's baked it's topped with a thin coating of colored and flavored icing. My mother made orange and yellow icings flavored with orange and lemon respectively, and she made pink and blue icings that were vanilla flavored. Emma favored the pink iced cookies and so she began referring to these cookies as pinky cookies. Here's the entry:

Emma is very into Gram's pinky cookies and asks for them all day. Today, when I told her she could not have another pinky she replied, "How about a blue?" Very clever!

No comments:

Post a Comment