Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Muse

As Emma got older, finding time to steal away and do projects with Pat became less practical. Emma was fortunate, though, to add a new creative muse to her life – her flute teacher, Adrianne.

Emma started taking lessons with Adrianne about half way through sixth grade. Many of Emma’s middle school band peers were taking private lessons on their instruments and Emma wanted that opportunity, too. It was really just luck that she ended up studying with Adrianne. Adrianne was the first of the recommended teachers I connected with. We had a pleasant conversation and we agreed to give it a try. I remember Adrianne asking me if Emma was shy or quiet. I assured her that she was anything but shy and quiet and, in fact, Adrianne’s biggest challenge might be keeping Emma from gabbing through the whole lesson.

That turned out to be a valid concern. Emma and Adrianne had lots in common besides their love of the flute and music. They both had their own unique flair for fashion. They both liked jewelry that made a statement. They loved hats. They both liked vintage looks, and preppy was not in either of their fashion vocabularies.

Adrianne challenged and inspired Emma as a musician, but she was also a great friend.  Often I would pick up Emma from a lesson and ask her how it went and she would respond, “Oh, it was great. Adrianne wants the recipe for the stew I made for French class,” or “ Great. Adrianne really liked my hat and she wanted to know where I got my jacket.”

I know for a fact that there was a lot of flute playing in between these conversations because I would often sneak in at the end just to listen. But I also know that if Adrianne didn’t keep her on task, Emma would have happily gabbed away with her for the whole hour. She clearly felt like a kindred spirit to Emma. And that’s why I was and still am grateful for the gift of Adrianne in Emma’s life.

1 comment:

  1. A moment today: I was thinking about Emma and how I miss her as I was cleaning up my room full of hats. My husband came in to ask a question - home from work because of the snow - and noticed a tearful face. I said I was just remembering - again. And this is the day you chose to write about us. What a relationship we had. I challenged her and she, in turn, challenged me to teach my best because simple musical explanations were never quite what either of us wanted. And of course the ever present: "Emma, is what you're about to tell me about music?"

    ReplyDelete