Saturday, March 13, 2010

Doing Nothing

Here’s an excerpt from House at Pooh Corner that was featured in the 1994 Winnie-the-Pooh calendar:

Doing Nothing

    “What do you like doing best in the world, Pooh?” asked Christopher Robin.
    “Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best…” and then he had to stop and think. “What I like best in the whole world is Me and Piglet going to see You, and You saying ‘What about a little something?’ and Me saying, ‘Well, I shouldn’t mind a little something, should you, Piglet,’ and it being a hummy sort of day outside and the birds singing.”
    “I like that too,” said Christopher Robin, “but what I like doing best is Nothing.”


That excerpt reminds me of little Emma, who always appreciated “a little something,” especially when she was feeling “a little eleven o’clockish,” as her friend Pooh often did. She was also one who regularly experienced “hummy” sorts of days. She was a fan of the skippy sort of day, too, and later became a fan of the dancing and belting out show tunes sorts of days.
But the excerpt also reminds me of the time we took Emma to audition for the PBS children’s show ZOOM!. But perhaps that’s a post all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment