Tuesday, March 9, 2010

From a Friend

A friend shared this story of Emma with me and gave me permission to share it with you:


Tonight was Open House at the high school. Last year with a new freshman I was petrified! I didn't know where anything was, it was so hot in there and I had worn the wrong shoes. Then this happy voice greeted me, "Hi!!" I turned and saw this great warm smile in a blue Ludlowe Leaders t-shirt and I got a big hug. I exclaimed "Emma!" I was so happy to see her welcoming face. "Em, I am so lost. I have no idea where I am and this map makes crazy." "Oh no worries," she assured me. "How about I be your guide for the night and take you everywhere you need to go?" All the other parents were so jealous that we devised this brilliant strategy! We struck a deal that I would buy her a coffee at Starbucks in return for her tour services and true to her word, she waited for me outside the classrooms to guide me through those jammed hallways. We happily chatted between classes, she greeted so many kids. Once when I said I was so thirsty, she appeared at the next class with a glass of cider and a cookie! "What else do you need ?" " Well,"  I said,  "I would love one of those Ludlowe decals but I don't know where to get one." " Give me $2 and I will find you one." Voila! After that class, she appeared with the decal for my car. We parted. I thanked her and talked about our coffee date. We would do it soon. Emma made what could have been a very stressful night so delightful for me.

I was there tonight without Emma. I was lost, hot, but did wear better shoes. The Ludlowe Leaders were there in their blue t-shirts, but none with that smile and spark. No one offered to be my guide.
I just missed her extra tonight. We never had our coffee. What I wouldn't give to buy her the most delicious largest coffee the world has ever seen. One day I will.
 

1 comment: