Monday, March 22, 2010

From Aunt Joycie

I am sharing a reflection written by Emma's Aunt Joycie in anticipation of a small family gathering we had yesterday:


As we gather today at Gram's to welcome Emma’s cousin, Greg, back to civilian life, I am reminded of her joy in being part of this large, warm family.  As much as Emma was her own beautifully unique person, she loved belonging to this loving and fun-loving family.  A typical gathering would include very loud conversation at the dining room table, great food (usually traditional in some way), and the inevitable game of wiffle ball.  This game might include as many as 10 or as few as 2 people, but Emma was often one of them.  Another common factor for each of these gatherings was dishes of candy on the side board in the dining room.  Emma shared with her Aunt Joycie a love of the sweet stuff, so we would often meet at those candy dishes, both feeling slightly guilty for being there.  We both had ways to camouflage our candy obsession.  It was easy for me.  I could make a trip to the dining room to “check on the silverware” or to “get more napkins” and pop some candy in my mouth on the way.  Emma’s trips to the candy dish often turned into a stroll through the house, where she sometimes slipped a candy wrapper into some obscure corner.  It was not easy coming across some of those “pieces of Emma” while cleaning up last summer. 

Emma, today at Gram’s house, I know you’ll be with us laughing at the dining room table and enjoying that Mack competitiveness in the games we’ll play.  And I know you’ll be with me every time I take a trip to the candy dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment