Monday, May 31, 2010

To Emma on Memorial Day

Dear Emmie Lou,


I wonder if you can see the beautiful sanctuary that our garden has become this spring. Although my heart is broken, I do feel peace when I am sitting out in the quiet of our yard, with the warm breeze whispering to me, carrying the message from the purple flowers that are blooming all around me. I'm here. See me? I'm here, you seem to say.


The kousa dogwood that the neighbors planted in the fall for you is blooming and looks beautiful and happy. The new climbing rose bush that we planted is awash in pretty peachy-pink blossoms that remind me of the bloom on your cheeks. I'm here. See me? I'm here.


And the climbing hydrangea that we planted by the arbor almost five years ago is blooming for the very first time this year. Who knew that the dense green vine could produce such a lacey, delicate, bloom? I'm here. See me? I'm here.


Nature seems to understand that there are bonds that death can't break. I'm here, Emma. Do you see me? I'm here, sitting in the garden with you.

2 comments:

  1. She's here. How sweet, how wonderful your feelings and thoughts, always. I felt the huge need to don her necklace today. I've carried it around with me for the entire year and today I wore it. Felt close and nice - as she always is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very wonderful, loving mom, Mrs. von Euler...

    MidwestMom

    ReplyDelete